Service Dog Client Eligibility Requirements
To qualify for a PAALS service dog, clients must meet the following requirements:
- Must be 16 or older to have independent service dogs. PAALS will consider younger facilitated team placements.
- Must live within 230 miles of PAALS facility in Columbia, SC. PTSD applicants only must live within 120 miles of PAALS facility in Columbia, SC.
- PTSD applicants must be in consistent (at least once a month) therapy for at least six months.
- Must be able to provide a safe environment.
- Must be able to provide dog with exercise daily.
- Must be able to afford annual dog supplies and veterinary services averaging $1,000 per year.
- Must have no more than one additional dog living in the home with the PAALS dog.
- Must have a stable living situation for a minimum of year before placement.
- Must have explored potential employment and housing conflicts.
- Must be willing to send follow-up paperwork proving medical care and continued training to PAALS after placement of assistance dog.
- Must be able to attend a two week team training session in Columbia, SC prior to placement at their own expense and to provide their own transportation, housing, meals and care attendant if needed.
- Must have realistic expectations of tasks/roles a dog could perform which could assist a person with a disability and/or a a teacher, counselor or therapist who work with people with disabilities (facility dog).
- Must have back-up care arranged for assistance dog in case of an emergency.
- Must be willing to continue the training program that PAALS begins for the team throughout the working life of the dog.
- Must keep PAALS apprised of any changes that would affect any of the above after application is accepted.
- Must treat PAALS dog with unconditional love!
if you do not meet one or more of PAALS client eligibility requirements, here are some resources to assist you with finding a service dog.